I've only been on IPY for about a week now, but I have learned a ton of useful stuff through trial and error, and help from fellow IPYers. I figured I should make a list of those things and share them with you. Here it goes:
1. You can have up to 3 (I've also heard 4 but not sure) accounts. Make use of them! You want to make a mage? Well they require a lot of skills to be macroed up to 100: Wrestling, Eval Int, Meditation, and perhaps others like Hiding, Anatomy, Healing, depending on what kind of mage you want to make. I have my two of my accounts macroing eval int and meditation up and I'm just leaving them like that until they GM those skills. My other account is a dexxer that I play normally to farm stuff. Other useful things to macro: herding, wrestling, macing, fencing, swordsmanship for building your str up. Fishing for getting money, and more! The rules about macroing you need to know: nothing that involves character movement (botting) and no unattended resource gathering macros (except for fishing).
2. How do I macro? Get Razor, get it working (if any errors pop up just goggle them and resolve asap), and use it. Go to the macro tab, click record. Do an action, hide for example, then click stop. After this, right click any line in the macro to add various checks / pauses. Are you a mage? Add a mana <= 99 check and automatically use meditation when your mana has dropped. Right click any line that involves double clicking and you can switch a target to type which works good for things like bandage macros. Here are some useful macros for new players.
- [Requires a magical wizard hat, purchase one at a mage shop] Equip hat, remove hat. This will drop your mana 5 points which will then regen by using the skill meditation. You can GM mediation just by equipping and unequipping a hat!
- [Requires a magical wizard hat, purchase one at a mage shop] Equip hat, remove hat, apply bandage to self. If you have the gold to support this, you can use the same method to macro your healing skill, because removing a magical wizard hat will also drop your health 5 points, which you can heal using the heal skill. This is much safer than doing the same thing with a mob attacking you because it's impossible for you to die using this method.
- Insert an IF health < 99 statement in a heal macro, and you can loop a macro to always heal you once you've taken damage. This is great for soloing in a dungeon because you never have to worry about forgeting to heal.
- Any easily macroable skill like hiding, anatomy, evaluate intelligence and be made to loop constantly, just remember to set the pause length by right clicking the appropriate macro line, the default pause is like 25-30 seconds for a loop, which will waste a lot of time.
- Macro weapon skills at the training dummies north of the mage shop in Britain. Remember to stand between two training dolls and use them both at the same time for fastest results. Also remember, the skill zone 30-35 is bugged, you have to go out and gain that skill elsewhere before moving to advanced training dummies. I recommend the sewers of Britain, because PKs can't get in there (I think). The graveyard might also be good.
3. Make a blacksmith/miner on one of your extra accounts, log into him to repair your equipment when needed. I find after just 30 minutes of dungeon crawling my gear will be in need of repairs. For this reason I carry multiple weapons and repair frequently.
4. Try to find a good location to buy GM exceptional weapons, ask friends where a good location is. Take a look at the IPY Wiki on swordsmanship to discover which weapon is best for you: http://inporylem.com/codex/index.php...=Swordsmanship
5. Get a ranged fighting skill fast. I suggest Archery since Covetous level 1 is filled with harpies which can be harvested for feathers, and it's fairly newbie friendly (there is a portal you can use right near the entrance to escape any PKs). I still don't have any ranged skills and it without one it makes fighting other players nearly impossible, I wish I had invested more into developing either magery or archery from the start of things, but for now I'm simply at the mercy of PKs.
6. Prepare to get PKed. It's going to happen a lot at first, once you step out of the graveyard and into any dungeon. My advice is to wear bone armor you find of skeletons, because its worthless. Always fight close to a portal back to britain to increase your odds of making it away from anyone who harasses you. Group up with other friendly players if you can. Always keep a magic reflect on you and avoid fighting mobs that cast spells. If you can, carry some trapped pouches with you to break paralyze. Make frequent bank runs to drop off loot. Prepare bags with ready to go reagents, bandages, armor and weapons in the event that you die, so you can reduce down time after dying. Don't invest in any magical weapons and armor until you have a few decent skills GMed, or close to being GMed, because the chances are you'll be outnumbered and at a disadvantage in most fights (monsters hitting you, already at half health, etc). Exceptional weapons are cheap, bone armor and armor you find off rare monsters is free and good enough for most encounters you'll face while leveling up your initial skills. And also, if you don't have much loot on you, and your positioning isn't terrible, don't be afraid to fight back, if they are going to kill you make them work for it.
Hopefully this was helpful to someone,