Fishing is a Trade Skill that allows you to fish fishes, magical fishes, level 1 treasure maps and messages in a bottle. Furthermore you can fish for treasures and other items from shipwrecks, once you got the message out of a bottle and are located at the right spot.
New on IPY: In the Buccaneer's Den Battleground, you can fish up crabs and lobsters using Lobster Traps, which you can buy from fisherman NPCs. To deploy a trap, place it in the water, and you will see a buoy in the water. The longer you leave the trap in the water, the more crabs or lobsters it can collect. However, buoys can sink after a certain amount of time depending on your fishing skill, losing you the trap, the buoy, and any caught items.
Lobster traps also have a chance to pull up rare items with special properties.
It's kept up to date by other players responding to the thread. Be sure to read the whole thing and the replies to get a lot of great information about fishing here on IPY.
Footwear: The beginning fisherman will find this item on his hook most of the times, but even the Grandmaster may pull up the occasional boot. These can be sold to a cobbler for a bit of gold. Skill: 0
Normal Fish: You usually get when fishing. They yield 2 fish steaks each when cut with a knife. These can be sold to fisherman on the docks for 1GP each. That may not sound like much but when you bring in a stack of 1,600 fish steaks it's well worth your time to save them and sell them! Skill: 0
Prize Fish: Adds a temporary +5 to your Intelligence when eaten (no cooking needed). Skill: 0
Wondrous Fish: Adds a temporary +5 to your Dexterity when eaten. Skill: 0
Truly Rare Fish: Adds a temporary +5 to your Strength when eaten. Skill: 0
Highly Peculiar Fish: Restores 10 points of stamina when eaten. Skill: 0
Plainly Drawn Treasure Map: A level 1 treasure map. Same as the treasure maps you get off monsters. These are obtained as loot from killing sea serpents that you fish up. Skill: 90
Message in a Bottle (MiB): When used it extracts a waterstained SOS from the bottle. These are obtained as loot from killing sea serpents that you fish up. To get the SOS you simply double click the MiB. You have a rare chance that a MiB will contain an Ancient SOS. You can tell by it's ice white color and it's called 'an ancient waterstained SOS'. Simply read the SOS, sail out to the specified coordinates, and start fishing! Skill: 100
Treasure Recovered from a Shipwreck: After you sail to the coordinates identified in the SOS you start fishing. Then you will pull up misc items recovered from the shipwreck as you attempt to fish up a treasure chest. Eventually you will pull up a treasure chest! There are 3 levels of treasure chests which range from 500, 1000, and 1500 gold. They contain gems, reagents, scrolls, magic items, and one special fishing net.
Special Fishing Nets: There are really two kinds; 'special fishing nets' and 'fabled fishing nets'. Special fishing nets are typically green and found as loot on sea serpents that you fish up. Fabled fishing nets are found inside treasure chests that come from Ancient SOSs. Simply sail out to deep water, double click the net, and target the near by sea. The water will boil and soon water elementals, sea serpents, and kraken will surface.
Ancient SOS: When you fish up an ASOS you get a pure white treasure chest. It contains 2000 gold and more of the same items as other treasure chests. Inside is a fabled fishing net which is also pure white.
Fabled Fishing Nets: Mostly the same as special fishing nets except a leviathan will also spawn. This nasty creature is difficult to kill. Once you do there is a chance you'll get an artifact. If you do get one you'll see a system message telling you that you got one and it will appear in the backpack of the person who cast the net.
- You can currently GM this skill from land.
- The higher your skill the higher your chance of catching something more valuable than a normal fish. The skills mentioned above are minimum skills needed to fish up the corresponding item.
- Tests show that a Grandmaster Fisherman pulls up an SOS message in a bottle about once per hour. To reach that he has to fish non-stop, which means he has to cast about 280 times per hour.
- When fishing in "deep water" (which means you must be at least 14 tiles away from all land) there is a chance a sea-serpent pops up if you are fishing with 80+ skill and you fail.
- Other resource gathering skills include Mining and Lumberjacking
- Fishing is a great accompaniment to the skill Cooking(though once cooked Fish Steaks cannot be sold to fishers)
- You need a minimum of 65 fishing skill to fish up the treasure from a message in a Bottle
- Train up multiple fisherman. You'll have great results if you have 3 fisherman out at sea on the same boat!
- The fisherman town bonus is a huge boon to our trade. Be sure to seek out citizenship in a town that offers that bonus for any account that you use for fishing.
- Fishing from shore while AFK is currently allowed (as long as you aren't moving). Fishing AFK from a boat is NOT allowed and strictly forbidden. If your character has the fishing bonus you can anticipate about 1,600 fish steaks over about a 12 hour period from a single fisherman plus some footwear. Your net gold for a 12 hour period will be about 2,000 GP per fisherman.
This macro will fish 2 spots, switch spots if the fish aren't biting, call guards, hide, and cut up fish at a certain weight.
!Loop Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|21 Assistant.Macros.IfAction|0|0|80 Assistant.Macros.SpeechAction|0|52|3|PTB|2|16|7|guards Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3520|True Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|1|0|0|1522|1638|-5|6043 Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3542|True Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|the fish don't seem to be Assistant.Macros.ElseAction Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:10 Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|21 Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3520|True Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|1|0|0|1521|1640|-5|6044 Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3542|True Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|the fish don't seem to be Assistant.Macros.ElseAction Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:10 Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction Assistant.Macros.IfAction|5|1|100 Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3922|True Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|2508 Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3922|True Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|2510 Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3922|True Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|2509 Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3922|True Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|2511 Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:00.5000000 Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction